Friday, September 23, 2011

A Proud Moment

Last night was parents night for my daughter's soccer game. I was a little excited and nervous. I had made other plans for last night and was quite anxious that I was not going to be able to be there on time.
Luckily, my earlier appointment went well and I was done fairly quickly. I canceled my second appointment and headed to the soccer game.

They had the parents line up across from their girls down by the team benches. Then they called out the girls names and parents according to their jersey number. The parents and girl stepped toward each other and the girls presented their parents with a chocolate bar and bottle of A&W Rootbeer. It was very sweet.


Fridley Girls Soccer Team

The game started out with a great goal for Fridley from none other than my own daughter. She plays right mid-field. She caught a pass, then turned on her speed, cut through 2 defenders and up the sidelines, then she made an awesome cut toward the net and shot the ball hard and high. The ball was in the back of the net before the defending goalie even knew what was happening. Oh, so exciting! And what a happy mom on the benches.

The next goal for Fridley came shortly after the first by a striker. It was another beautiful move. She cut around 2 defenders and strode right in for a face on kick that sent the goal diving toward the ball and the ball sailing into the net. Awesome!

Not 10 minutes into the game and my daughter took the ball in for a third goal. It was another thing of beauty. I was so happy for her and that third goal really energized the rest of the team. They came back with a fourth goal just before half-time.

No one scored again until the last few minutes of the second half, but you could tell the girls were feeling the game.Their smiles lit up the field and they were having a great time. They played a very smart game; both defensively and offensively. It was really fun to watch. And they ended up winning 5-0. Victory is sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment