Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Crock Pot Potato Soup

The other day I was reading my sisters' cooking blog and came across a crockpot potato soup. I thought I was in heaven.

I love potato soup and almost anything I can cook in a crockpot. So, combining them together was almost too much for me to resist. I decided right then that I'd make this soup sometime over the weekend. It sounded so delicious, I could hardly wait.

Sunday morning finally came (I usually have more time to do things on Sunday mornings, so that's the day I decided to make the soup.)

Humble Beginnings
I printed off the receipe, gathered all the ingredients and set out to put the soup together. I got everything together and set the soup on to cook.

Soup's On
All went exceptionally well. The house smelled great and the soup looked good too. However it would seem that my math conversion skills were not really working that morning. I ended up using too much Chicken Base since I didn't have chicken boullion cubes and I added a tad too much salt. The soup was inedible - waaay too salty. I was very disappointed.

Finshed soup in Crockpot
But, all was not lost (read: enter husband to the rescue.) He drained all the liquied off the soup, diced up and some more potatoes, added some liquid (water and chicken base) and put everything back in the crockpot. He then made the roux and added the milk. He added no salt, but did add in a couple of slices of Provolone cheese - to give it a bit more body. He then let the crockpot melt and meld everything together.





Lunch

The end result? Absoulte deliciousness! We didn't eat much on Sunday, but Monday night we had the tastiest potato soup to come out of our kitchen in quite a while (we don't make soup very often). I can't wait to try this soup again - maybe this time I'll follow the directions more closely.

2 comments:

  1. Glad it turned out in the end. Makes me want to make it again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was delicious. I hope to make this soup again soon. This time following the directions. Heaven knows I have plenty of potatoes to use up.

    ReplyDelete